Naturalist/Natural Resource Intern
This internship is a hybrid position floating between environmental education and natural resources management and must be prepared to perform any of their duties on a given work day. The candidate will work a non-typical work week with some evenings and weekends required.
The successful candidate will have a strong work ethic, passion for native ecosystems, ability to work independently and safely, as well as a strong desire to learn. Applicant should have the ability to work with people of all ages, and communicate effectively both orally and in writing. Current certification in first aid and CPR preferred, but not required. The candidate will have a required background check, a valid driver’s license, and the ability to work in harsh environments. Proficiency in identifying native and non-native species is also important.
Wage: $13.00 - $14.00 / hour 40hours/week, 3 months
Naturalist duties include, but are not limited to:
- Assist the Naturalist in carrying out environmental education programming for the Boone County Conservation Board.
- Help provide programs for schools, civic and youth groups, summer camp groups, campground users, and the general public.
- Assist in the creation of educational brochure/handouts, weekly park updates, and advertisements for programs. This position may also assist with the writing of articles, press releases, newsletters, social media updates, and other tasks as directed.
Natural resource management duties include, but are not limited to:
- Utilize integrated pest management techniques to manage vegetation (primarily through mechanical cutting and herbicide application). This position will be allowed to obtain their Iowa Commercial Pesticide Applicator’s License with categories 2 (Forest), 3T (Turf) and 6 (ROW) within 30 days of being hired.
- Assist with tall-grass prairie, oak savannah and forest restoration and management
- Maintain hiking trails
- Maintain tools, equipment, and facilities
- Document, map, and assess projects.
- Operate various types of equipment which include: vehicles, trailers, tractors, mowers, UTVs, chemical sprayers, chainsaws, and other related equipment.
This position may also help with parks maintenance tasks such as mowing, weed eating, light construction and cleaning of facilities.
Essential Knowledge, Experience, and Ability
Must be 18 years old and have a current Iowa driver’s license. Must be pursuing or completed a degree in Natural Resource Management, Wildlife Ecology, Biology, Forestry, or equivalent discipline. Previous experience preferred, but not required.
$13.00 - $14.00/hour
Boone County Don Williams Recreation Area
Did You Know
Sign up to receive notifications when board meetings and agendas are posted, job openings are announced, and more.Customize Your Notifications