How is eligibility for assistance determined?
You must reside in Boone County and be a US Citizen or Legal Alien. The first step is to complete a General Assistance application and provide the requested information. The General Assistance worker will review your application and if you meet the eligibility criteria, you will be scheduled for an interview with the GA worker to help determine your needs. Please provide a valid, clearly written phone number and email address with your completed application. A phone or face-to-face interview will be scheduled. No payment can be made if it will not remedy the emergency. The client must be able to show how next month’s bill will be paid.
To file a completed application:
- FAX the completed application to 515-432-2480
- Email the completed application to email@example.com
- Mail the application to Boone County General Relief at 900 West 3rd St., Boone, Ia. 50036
- Drop off the application to the local office at 900 West 3rd St, Boone, Ia. 50036
Call 515-433-0593 or 1-800-753-2136, if you have questions. Office hours are 8 a.m. to noon and 1 p.m. to 4:30 p.m.
The following information must be provided prior to a determination for assistance:
- Proof of all income received in the past 30 days. If self-employed, provide last year's income tax return.
- Copy of current bill that you are requesting assistance for
- Copy of all current bank statements (checking and savings)
- Childcare costs (written proof)
- Current child support statement as to income or an expense
- If applying for rental assistance, need a current lease that shows the landlord's name, address, and phone number.
- Letter from IMPACT 515-432-5052
- Letter from Salvation Army 515-432-5770
What services are available?
- Emergency food assistance
- Referrals will be made to the food pantry, SHARE program, as well as having the clients fill out a food stamp application.
- Benefit limits are the reasonable rental value not to exceed $500.00.
- Deposits will not be paid for rent, gas, water, or electricity.
- Assistance with utility costs shall be provided only in the amount of the actual cost for current usage, which allows continuance of service and not services provided for prior months. Assistance under this category does not include deposits, taxes, or penalties. The amount shall not exceed the current month.
- Heat, lights, and water are the only utilities that will be considered.
- Utilities must be in the name of the applicant or another member of the household. If the expense of utilities is shared with a non-applicant, the payment is prorated.
- Medical Services
- Assistance will be given for prescriptions, and also for some medical needs that require no prescription, such as insulin and needles.
- Dental assistance for immediate need and to relieve severe pain.
- Hospital Services – County GA does not fund hospital services within the County. The Boone County Hospital has its own indigent care program.
- Payment for cremation expenses is limited to a maximum of $1500.00. Social Security Death Benefits shall be deducted from this amount. Any insurance, assets, resources, or family contributions must be applied to cremation expense before the General Assistance payment will be made.
- The General Assistance payment must represent payment in full.
- Needymeds Prescription program — find help with the cost of medication
- Iowa Workforce Development
- Iowa Department of Human Services
- DHS Online Application for State of Iowa Services (OASIS)
- Health Insurance for Children (hawk-i)