You may apply for a marriage license at any County Recorder’s office in Iowa as long as the ceremony is performed in Iowa.
To apply for a Marriage License in the Recorder’s Office:
- The couple and one witness (must be 18 years or older) must appear in person,
- All three must present valid photo identification (driver’s license or government-issued ID).
- When filling the Marriage Application out, we ask that the Prominent Named Person be Party A and the person who is changing their name be Party B.
- The $35.00 fee includes a certified copy of the marriage certificate. We accept cash, check or credit card (in person) for vital records.
- Marriage licence applications are accepted until 4:00 p.m. each day. After 4:00 p.m. the application will not be processed until the next business day.
- To apply by mail, contact our office at 515-433-0514 or email email@example.com and we can send you the necessary forms or answer any questions.
There is a four-day waiting period before the License is issued and before the actual marriage may occur. The four-day waiting period begins once the application is processed. Please see the chart below.
|Date of Application||Valid Date of Certificate|
After the four-day period, please come back to our office and pick up the necessary documents to get married. Once the marriage has been performed and the Certificate of Marriage has been returned to the Recorder’s Office and placed on record, a certified copy will be mailed to the couple. The couple will use this certified copy for any name change after marriage (social security information and driver’s license, etc.).